Re: Incorporating Self-defense in Hermetic Practices

Message 03679 of 3835

Hi,

I don't know anything about any specific Hermetic writings or
techniques on the topic of self-defense, but my personal opinion is
that part of the living work of Hermetic practice is to continually
bring practical, day-to-day existence into communion with higher law
through one's own contemplation and actions. It's the same as with
healing, where all the levels have to be addressed: physical,
astral/emotional, and mental. In this analogy of healing, if I
experience pain, I apply techniques to stop the pain; I open my
awareness to the emotional experience of the pain; I investigate the
root of the pain and contemplate what meaning it has and what it has
to teach me.

It sounds like a very difficult situation you are in and certainly
it would be a tremendous challenge to anyone's sense of security and
equilibrium in the world. I don't have such experience with the
threat of violence, but if I were in that situation, I think I would
first focus on what things to do to keep me and my loved ones alive
and safe for the immediate present, and turn to Hermetic practice to
help me make sense of all that is happening and how to deal with it
both emotionally and in a long-term sense, e.g. in terms of soul
mirror work and character transformation.

My two cents, for what it's worth.
David

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, Zelator <zelator79@y...> wrote:

> HI!
>
> I was wondering if any of the practicioners in the group have
found a way to integrate some form of self-defense training into
their Hermetic practices. Whether physical or with the use of magic.

> The reason I'm asking is because I live in a 3rd world country
where crime is very much rampant. And yet I find myself inexplicably
drawn to Bardons system, even though I do not seem to have made any
concrete progress for the past 3 years.

> Given that the practice of Hermetics, work, and family life takes
up a large part of my day. I'd still feel more complete if I found a
way to incorporate some form of self-defense in my training. For my
and my loved ones sake, if ever the time came if they were
threatened by another human being.

> Also, what would be (if there was any) appropriate view and action
of a Hermetic in practice with regards to incidents where his or his
loved ones life/welfare is threatened by common criminals. Forgive
me if this topic was taken up already before, I must have missed it.

> Any or no comments will be appreciated.
>
> Prometheus

Main Index | Thread Index