Re: Controlling the time

Message 00228 of 3835

Dear Maximiliano,

>> While I´m doing the mental exercise of Step 1 ( observing thoughts )
I continuously have one little problem. After 5 or 6 minutes of doing
the exercise I start wondering about how long has it been since I
started, " Is it ten minutes already?". At first I did the following: I
got an alarm clock and set it for 10 minutes. I wraped it in heavy
clothing so that the "beep-beep" should be a nice and quiet one. The
thoughts about "how long" got reduced but I still have the habit of
wondering when is going the "beep-beep" to start. Has anybody gone
through this? What should I do? Part of my mind is too attentive about
the time and I can´t be 100% in the passive state. <<

What you describe is not all that unusual.

I do hope you realize that every time you begin wondering about the
time, this constitutes an "interruption". ;-)

What I suggest is that you do away with your worry about the time
entirely and also do away with setting an alarm. Just do your
meditation for as long as you are able. When you encounter your first
disruption, look over at your clock and see how long you meditated for
un-interrupted. That is the only span of time that really matters.
When, at the end of your meditation, your clock informs you that you've
succeeded in un-interrupted meditation for at least 10 minutes, then you
can continue on to the next exercise.