Re: requesting help with chapter 1 of IIH

Message 01443 of 3835

Dear Maria:

For me, I think what helped the most was the one-pointedness
exercise. Instead of taking a topic of my choosing, I would take the
first thought that came to mind. So, sometimes, I would sit for a
minute without any thoughts until one came.

But I think the most effective thing that really gave a break
through, was letting go. At first I thought of the exercise as one
where I was struggling against my mind to keep out all thoughts, to
suppress them. Whereas, it's really about achieving a state of
mind. You are trying to elevate your mind to a different wave length
than what it normally operates on. One where you are still. Truly
still.

So to help, I started to focus on my breathing when I started the
exercise. Close my eyes, relax my body, and concentrate on my
breathing. Deliberate, but normal breaths. Then after a while, when
I felt relaxed, I let that concentration go and just left my mind
OPEN rather than CLOSED. I think that's the key. Don't think so
much that the exercise is about shutting out thoughts, but rather
that its about letting go of thoughts. It's not a struggle, but a
(what's the best word...) peaceful exercise. Now, after performing
the exercise, I feel relaxed and mentally rejuvinated.

Of course, this approach can be applied to all of the exercises, but
I found it to be almost a requirement to perform this one correctly.

Something else that might help as well: I do my studies in my room
where the computer is running, so there is a slight background hum
from the fans that are running in the computer. Blocked out mostly
during my mundane daily work, I really noticed it when I started to
do this exercise. I also found out that it helped me to have
something like that there to focus on, as it allowed me to sort of
test if I had relaxed enough. If during the exercise, I could hear
the fans, then I wasn't performing it correctly. Because when I did
it correctly, I couldn't hear the fans.

Just some things to chew on I suppose. All will go well.

-- Alan

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "mariaclearwater333"
<mariaclearwater333@y...> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I am new to this group. For a very long time now (years), I am
> working every day very diligently on chapter 1 and wasn't able to
> stay for 10 minutes without thoughts. I feel quite desperate and am
> reaching out for your help. What helped you? How did you get to the
> place of having control over your thoughts?
>
> I am very thankful for specific help: Maria

Main Index | Thread Index