Re: Doubts about the path

Message 02033 of 3835

--- In BardonPraxis@yahoogroups.com, "David Yeh" <ldreamr@y...> wrote:
> I have a number of questions I would like to put forward to you
all,
> particularly the experienced practitioners like Rawn. Your
feedback
> and guidance would be very welcome.
>
> I am feeling some basic doubts with regards to the Hermetic path.
>
> First of all, it seems to me that Bardon gave a sort of bare-bones
> outline in IIH of what is needed to achieve each step. But what
> about the particulars of the technique or instruction? The
language
> he uses in the Step One exercise about vacancy of mind, for
instance,
> is very forceful, i.e. suppress your thoughts. But what I've
> gathered, particularly from exploring writings of systems such as
> Buddhism that really focus on the natural emptiness of mind, is
that
> you can't really fight the mind. You have to let go and be
mindful,
> or you have to "love your ego to death" or something like that. So
> right there is one thing where I think, "Hmm, I can't quite trust
> Bardon." If I start to distrust Bardon in Step One, what does that
> mean for the rest of the course?

Buddhism is one of those interesting philosophies that has had many
revisions on top of it that coincide with the original laws, not
changing them, but illucidating them further and further. The same
goes for Kabbalah with it's eight periods. Each not changing the
original laws but illucidating further what has been said in the
Torah.

The main thing you should understand about the Buddhist philosophy is
that the Four noble truths are a diagnosis of what goes on in life.
Basically, attachment is suffering. The eightfold path is the
prescription for that suffering (Right knowledge, intention and so on
to right meditation). Just about all of the Sutras and the
commentaries on the sutras are conceptualizations put into verse to
teach others not to conceptualize. In conceptualization, we dualize
and get further away from Nirvana. Or in Bardon terms, we get away
from the Mystical where as magical is working with the will to
penetrate further into the metaphysical. Mystical is quality, magic
is quantity.

Buddhism has its own heirarchy where there is a progression from the
Hinayana (ethically based, somewhat antisocial with the enlightened
arhat as the ideal and philosophically empirical) to the mahayana
(Ideal person is the Bodhisattva, which is very social for the
benefit of others, focusing on emptiness and philosophically
rational) and finally, Vajrayana (taking and refining what is in the
concepts of the mahayana and furthering the concept of emptiness so
that there is no difference between nirvana or samsara. In
otherwords, and more base terms, I am a pile of crap but I am
enlightened and don't know it; there is a diamond in me and I have to
find it.)

What influences the Vajrayana, the higher aspect of Buddhism, are the
practices of the earlier primitive shamanic tibetans (Bon Po) that
did implement a very similar practice as that found in the IIH with
the Soul Mirror exercise. Basically, we were made of elements, they
cannot function independently and must be in balance for the body,
soul, and spirit to progress further. The elements were applied in
exactly the same method as was in IIH. The theory from the Buddhist
perspective on this is that the higher beings were at an elemental
equilibrium to such a fine degree that they were in a constant state
of bliss.

Naturally, if you meditate (in the eastern sense of the word where
you let go and dont conceptualize) you will develop some of the
powers that Bardon suggests. However, if you make these powers your
focus, you deluded your ego, and these great powers fall further out
of reach. Interesting failsafe. You develop abilities as you go on
but if you focus on them you fall back.

Unfortunatly, Bardon is VERY barebones. Vacancy of mind is written
in only a few pages for IIH but Buddhism has attacked it quite a bit
more.

Quite Honestly, IIH is correct without much in the way of trying to
back up what it is saying. All it is, is "do this and do this" no
questions asked and so on. Buddhism has gone so far into the
philosophy to mention "do this because of these reasons" with far
exceeding explanations.

There are many things in the Buddhist world that are mentioned in
IIH. Some Monks do finger posterings where a certain postering would
bring about a mental attitude. Meditating (focusing rather) for 4
hours a day on certain aspects like patience. When that patience is
fully grasped, the fingers take a posture, when the mind loses focus,
the fingers come apart. So if the monk is losing patience, they can
bring it back with their fingers.

There are many secrets in the Monastic life that would preferably be
kept secret. When the Dalai Llama goes around and speaks, RARELY
does he ever talk about Dzogchen, but rather the basics of Buddhism
of what is mentioned mostly in the Hinayana and some of the
Mahayana. I am sure Bardon felt the same thing when revealing the
secrets that he had for fear that people would misuse and
misunderstand them.

> Further, Rawn mentions on his website that Bardon doesn't really
> mention, except in a couple of sentences, that EOM is meant to be
> practiced throughout the ten steps. It is implied. Well, what
else
> is implied that isn't set out in so many words? So how can I trust
> it?

Gone are the days when one would go to a guru and the guru would
force the medication of reason down the persons throat to get them to
understand even if they didn't want to. It would make my life
easier, let me tell you.:-) In the beginning, with children, parents
do and say things to get the children to do things for their own
benefit even though the children don't even realize it. Like telling
a child that there is candy outsideside to get the scared child out
of a burning house. So, Trust me, when you work on the exercises in
IIH, a HUGE amount of money will be found in your closet. hee hee

Honestly, if you are having doubts about it and don't want to
research it, then move onto something else that satisfies your soul.
My hope is that if you do decide to pursue buddhism further, that you
would keep a copy of IIH with you because it is very reflective of
the whole path of Buddhism. At least, this is what I have found.
There are similarities everywhere in all religions and philosophies,
and bardon has been a great help to me. (my testimony)

> Moreover, what is the goal of the Hermetic path? In Buddhism it
> seems that the goal is very simple: be enlightened. I am unsure
what
> the goal is in Hermetics. If it is self-transformation and
mastery,
> what is the purpose of developing all of those powers?
I came to
> Bardon while trying to explore the practice of astral projection
and
> needing more of a spiritual framework for it instead of doing it
for
> recreation. Now I flip ahead in IIH and encounter a multitude of
> things that I will ostensibly be focusing my energy on, like magic
> mirrors and rituals and mental wandering. To me they are very
> tempting in terms of ego, though I know that supposedly by the time
> reach the stage where those things are possible, I will have
attained
> a degree of mastery that will eliminate that. Well what is the
point
> of the powers in the first place? Why not, as some Buddhists
teach,
> ignore all of it, because all phenomena are illusion, and place the
> focus simply on being awake in the moment?

Well, Buddhism, like the hermetic path of Bardon is an aspect of the
perrenial philosophy. Basically, all of us will eventually acheive
enlightenment in an incarnation somewhere along the road. This being
said, many of the spiritual masters that bardon makes reference to
come here to Earth as a buffed up version of a "Bodhisattva," they
are here to help humanity. With there skills of magic, being that of
focusing further into the metaphysical world, they can focus and
understand better the mystical. They truly do go hand in hand (the
magical and mystical).

Buddhism teaches many things about the phenomenal world being that of
illusion since it coincides with everything being empty of their own
being to a form of understanding dependent origination. Since all
things in this world are dependent on something else, they are empty
of their own being because it belongs to something else. THat is why
they say not to place much faith in phenomena. Madyamikans carry
this degree of scrutiny towards reality to a high degree quite
similar to Bishop Berkeley's view of the world existing only in the
mind. Berkeley's treatise, as well as the Madyamikan's depends on a
Being or G-D that perceives reality to keep it constant. It is also
a good method to ignore all other things and focus on the pure here
and now. For the Kaballist, that aspect of here and now is one
translation for the term Keter. Being ready to BE in the moment that
is NOW! Unfortunately, for a Kaballist, Buddhism tends to separate
the aspects that are seen in the Tree of life, the triads, into
different schools, Hinayana focused around malkuth and its adjoining
triad, mahayana and the vajrayana taking up the rest of the tree
respectively.

Basically, Buddhism is so rich that it will take a long time to gain
the understanding because it is so meaty. IIH is bare bones as you
put it and is the very short, straight to the point path of what can
be gained while delving into Buddhism. Again, I say, Buddhism is
very meaty. I had a buddhist professor that said he had been
studying it intently for over thirty years, and he said he was just
finally starting to understand it. Hopefully that puts things into
perspective that no matter what you decide to pursue as a path,
practice and practicality will have to come first to understand it
because the path is hard.

(dont stop reading, I posted more lower)

> Also, there are lineages in Buddhism that are unbroken going back a
> few thousand years. There are teachers around and available with
> whom one can meditate and learn. Hermetics by comparison seems new
> and obscure and perhaps immature? Where are the guides and the
> wisdom teachings handed down over hundreds of years? Obviously I
> don't know much about it but I would appreciate someone
enlightening
> me.
>
> One answer might be to practice Bardon and also seek out Buddhist
> teachers to help with some concepts. But I think it is really hard
> to have two teachers at one time. Something has got to give.
>
> I do think that part of it for me is the unfamiliar complexity.
The
> four elements, three bodies, the Hebrew words and Qabalistic terms
> and talk of elementals that people bandy around. This is all very
> new to me and somewhat overwhelming. I know that part of my doubt
is
> that I would rather retreat to something familiar. I take a look
> inside the Kybalion and my mind starts to shut down from the sheer
> overload of unfamiliar forms of information.
>
> But a part of me also wonders, isn't this unnecessarily complex? I
> guess that would, again, depend on the goal. If the goal of
> Theravadan Buddhism is simply enlightenment, then it is simple
enough
> to go live in a monastery and work on being mindful of everything
> that arises in yourself. If the goal of Christianity is to feel
> God's love, then one simply must open oneself to it. I hope
someone
> can tell me what Hermetics is about to them, because right now I
> still have this idea in my head that magick is about power over
> things in the world, rather than harmony with the world. That idea
> is very attractive and, as such, I think, dangerous to me if what I
> really seek is freedom. But I also know, from writings by Rawn and
> William Mistele among others, that that's not necessarily the
case ...

> I would like to say that MY goal is to live life fully, both by
> removing the things in me that block my way to the Divine, and by
> expressing myself and exploring the wonders and mysteries of the
> world.
>
> So I'm begging for answers to my questions:
> Isn't a path like Hermetics, strewn with many possibilities for
power
> and abuse of power, also prone to abuse of self and self-delusion?
> Doesn't it focus unnecessarily on methods of control rather than
> methods of communion? Would it not be simpler to give up the power
> and focus on experiencing the Divine, with paths like Buddhism?

so, my conclusion. (I think I touched on most of your questions
above)

The hermetic path is strewn with many possibilities for delusion and
power. The soul mirror does help with that as a radical form of self
honesty. The methods of control can be used as a method for
communion. The learning of the aspects of the metaphysical through
the will (magic) can help one better penetrate into the mystical.
Experiencing the divine through paths like buddhism is actually a
complex issue. The traditional hinayanist focuses on enlightenment
while the traditional mahayanist focuses on enlightenment and tries
to get everyone else to enlightenment, because, if everything is
connected, you cannot reach enlightenment fully since a part of you
is left behind in the unenlightened tree. IIH, for me, appears to be
a method to help the most people because you can use the magical to
understand the mystical further through experience and teach others
more effectively.

Dont, laugh at this, but the way that I see the answer to your
question is with two mental pictures. One of Buddhism and the other
of Bardon's path set in IIH. The first picture is of the path set in
IIH where it is a line set between two points in the void. The
learning, if done properly gets one from one point to the other
without a great amount of elucidation (deep vibration at certain
points on the line that lead to difficult concepts of metaphysics,
epistemology, ethics and so on). For IIH, you pass from one point to
the other as a child, just learning without a deep penetration into
the hardcore philosophy. When you are competent enough with IIH
where you can answer questions yourself, and you most certainly will
ask and answer them, the line begins to vibrate as you go deeper and
deeper.

Buddhism is the other line where you first start off with the ethics
and delve into which is an automatic vibration on the line that you
penetrate deeply. There is an automatic vibration on the line that
happens when you first touch it as opposed to bardon's system where
you learn the laywork and then penetrate deeper into the line and
make it vibrate. Hopefully this makes sense, I tried to make it as
tangeable as possible from the synesthetic crap it was before. eeesh!

> I hope that no one takes offense at my questions, they are posed in
> spirit of honest inquiry.
>

> Thanks,
> David

I am glad that you are asking questions like this. At least you are
swimming in a sea of people doing backfloats. No matter what you do,
if it is to pursue buddhism, that you would keep a copy of IIH with
you just to refer to as it is a wonderful resource in the Buddhist
philosophy. I am sure you will see complimentary ideas if you do
pursue buddhism.

~relax and breath~
Louis de Sully

~~~~~checking on the drunk outside to make sure he isnt hurt~~~~

Main Index | Thread Index