Re: clarity of meditation

Message 02343 of 3835

Dear Dave,

>>Hello, I'm new here. I've been studing Bardon's method's for about
3 monthes now but some of his comments on meditation in "Introduction
to Heremetics" are a little ambiguous. First, is "holding a single
thought in your mind" the same as visualizing a simple object like a
triangle or square? If not I am not sure what the second part of the
Magical Mental Training in part I is asking? could it be more of an
intense feeling? I know this is a hard question to awnser, any
thoughts would be useful. <<

First let me say welcome to BardonPraxis :)
Holding a single thought, is a bit more general than you are making
it. It's more of a single idea, such as thinking about the fire
element from the Theory section of IIH. You focus only on the fire
element, and nothing else. The idea is to keep the mind focused on
one idea only. Not to let it go off on tangents. I'm sure you've
had conversations with people, it even happens in some of my classes,
that at some point you stop and say "How did we get to talking about
peanut butter and jelly sandwiches when we were talking about Bill
Clinton getting kicked out of office?" (This actually happened once)
You just want to train your mind not to wander off on it's own.

>> Also there seems to be a gradient of clarity during my meditations
(when I am attempting part 3 of step I, the evacuation of any
thoughts from the mind) and I have been wondering exactly what level
of concentration is necessary for the completion of this step. <<

>> The way Bardon states it the hermeticist must maintain state #4
unbroken for 10 minutes or nearly so. This seems a bit difficult for
this stage of development doesn't it? I would expect it to take 1 or
2 years to attain that, am I doing something wrong or interpreting
him incorrectly? <<

Your interpretation is correct. There is to be no thought in the
mind for ten minutes minimum, which you increase in the later steps.
But your method may be throwing you a bit off. All of these states
of mind are natural states. The vacany one being more natural than
the others. We've just been training wrong since we were born ;)
You're not wanting to block thoughts out, or push them away. You
want to let your mind *empty* itself of thought. You want to let the
thoughts *flow* out of your mind. If you think of your mind as a
bubble, you have some liquid trapped inside, you want it out. You
can try and push it all out, but when some liquid comes back it's in
there. You want to sort of burst the bubble, let the liquid flow out
on its own. You want to *open* your mind, not *close* it. You might
agree that right now, the method you are using is more of a "grabbing
hold" of you mind, than "letting go" of your mind.

Hopefully this will help you with the Step I exercises.

As far as pictures and visualizations for the part 2b of Step I
mental, these are more for Step II. But I saw images of my thoughts
all the time, but I just wouldn't concentrate on an image as
my "idea" for that exercise. I suppose it would be alright to do so,
but the exercise is a bit more general than that.

Best of luck in your work.

All Will Go Well,
--Alan

Main Index | Thread Index