Re: Reasons for evoking a particular spirit

Message 02964 of 3835

Dear Peter,

>> Alright, advanced question time. Rawn has already gone over the
reasons for performing evocation in previous correspondences, but no-one
has ever really gone over why one should evoke one particular entity
over another. For when Bardon speaks of the Book of Magical Formulae the
first item that he places in the forefront is 1. Purpose of the
operation. Should the purpose be just to evoke the being? Learn what it
has to say, to teach you? To have a sense of communion with something
that is outside the normal realm of human consciousness in an attempt to
expand one's own consciousness so that it can garner a better
understanding of the divine? Or should it be to have the spirit perform
a specific task? Something that should, most likely be practiced once a
good rapport has been made with that particular spirit. <<

There is no universally applicable "should" in this instance. :) It's
up to *you*. All the motivations you've listed are indeed valid, but do
not represent a comprehensive list. For example, one motivation you
didn't mention is that of inviting a friendly acquaintance into *your*
home. :) My recommendation is that one's first evocation be in this
spirit of friendship instead of "wanting" or "needing". Greet the
entity mentally where they "reside" first and once a rapport has been
established, see if they are agreeable to visiting *your* home through
an evocation.

>> Bardon states, "When the magician has become sufficiently acquainted
with the zone girdling the earth, so that he has contacts with some of
its heads, especially the masters of magic, he may start trying to get
into contact with intelligences of the Moon sphere." How many spirits
should one come in contact with to become "sufficiently acquainted with
the zone girdling the earth"? I know that in some areas of PME Bardon
seems to imply that to master the sphere one needs to evoke quite a
number, if not all of the heads of that particular sphere. Which
sometimes boggles my mind given the number of spirits that Bardon lists
throughout PME. If he was in personal contact with each of these
spirits...even over the course of many years it would almost seem as if
he would be performing an evocation or more every day over the course of
at several years. <<

:) Evocation is meant to produce an expansion of consciousness -- of
*self* awareness. This expansion of self occurs primarily as a result
of the mental elevation that is required in order to establish mental
contact with the entity. This expansion however, is *integrated* into
the lower levels of self *through* the evocation ritual. So as your
self-awareness expands to encompass higher and higher levels of that
specific mental zone within its experience of 'self', more and more of
the overall zone is encompassed. Thus one doesn't need to encompass all
the "heads" of a zone, one after the other individually. At a certain
point, there is a quantum shift in which you suddenly encompass the
entire zone within your self-awareness and it is then that you are ready
to begin work with the next zone in sequence.

>> Personally when I work an evocation, I often feel physically drained,
and usually quite hungry afterwords. In contrast to this sense of
physical fatigue there is an extreme sense of peace and exhileration
upon the astral and mental bodies... <<

This is because you are using your body's own energy instead of drawing
all the energy required *from the universe*. Or, if you *are* drawing
energy from the universe, then you are resisting its flow somewhere in
your astra-physical body.

This is one reason why Bardon placed evocation after completion of Step
Eight. By that point in IIH, you are capable of accumulating and
condensing whatever sort or amount of energy required for an evocation,
directly from the universe.