Re: Re: What does it mean to become noble concerning passions?

Message 03523 of 3835

Dear Lori,

Thank you for your wonderful statement providing an example of the
character transformation in *action* as opposed to just theory! :) I
think one of THE most significant moments in this work is when one
really "gets it" about the Soul Mirror work.

>> The only thing that works for me is to develop a habit of catching
myself slipping. <<

That is certainly the most immediately powerful and effective of all the
tools listed in Step Two. It brings you into the only "place" of power
in which transformation can occur -- the *present* moment.

This is why the second mental exercise of Step One (the part where we
focus our attention upon the present moment and exclude unrelated
thoughts) is so important. It prepares us for being present with
ourselves during the Step Two character transformation work and enables
this ability you describe of "catching yourself slipping" *the moment
that it occurs*. At first, we might notice right after we have
"slipped" or while we are "slipping", but with practice we move that
point of noticing back further and further in the sequence of events
that lead to the "slip". And with *each* experience of "catching"
ourselves, we *learn* and become stronger.

The meditations, auto-suggestions, etc., are all preparing you for that
moment and setting the stage for what you might *choose* to do in *that*
moment of choice and power. Through meditation (and through your
ruminations when you do "catch" yourself), you come to understand the
negative trait and hopefully come to understand what positive
alternative would serve *you* better. With the auto-suggestion you are
strengthening your resolve when the moment of choice arises by subtly
replacing one set of sub-conscious programming with a new one. This is
what makes that moment of "slipping" *noticeable* to your awareness
(i.e., because it now stands out in contrast to the new sub-conscious
programming and to your intellectual understanding).

Thus prepared, when that moment of catching yourself does occur, you
*already* know what choices are open to you and you *already* have the
strength to make the choice that serves you best.